Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Welcome to the 1969 Honda SL90 Blog

This is a chronicle of my attempts to restore my Candy Blue 1969 Honda SL90 and a Candy Red SL90 ("barn find").  I owned my blue SL90 from 1969 to 1972 and relocated it in 2012.For the uninitiated, the Honda SL90 was a "one-year only" model (one year export to the USA).  Here's the Wikipedia description: 

"The Honda Motosport 90 or Honda SL90 was a street/trail Honda motorcycle with a high fender. Its engine was a single cylinder 89cc, single overhead cam configuration. It had a 4-speedtransmission and a manual clutch. It was produced only during the 1969 model year and was available in two colors: Candy Ruby Red and Candy Blue. It came with a silver fuel tank stripe and a chrome exhaust system. Its frame was silver with the front wheel measuring 19" and 17" for the rear wheel. The steel fenders matched the basic colors (red or blue)."

December 1969 - new Honda sl90 in Candy Blue

I owned two motorcycles before my SL90.  Both motorcycles were old used bikes with electrical and mechanical problems.  My SL90 was my first new motorcycle (my parents gave it to me as a Christmas present).  The SL90 was reliable and easy to maintain - it became my daily transportation for almost 3 years.


First ride - Christmas morning 1969.

The SL90 in the family room - a great Christmas gift!




August 2012 - 1969 Honda SL90 "Barn Find"
It has the wrong tank, it's missing the seat and some small parts plus the engine is in sad shape


This was the Candy Red version


Chopped black Honda Shadow in the background...


At least I have the original exhaust!


Note the headlight bucket damage and rust...



Ready to be stripped down for restoring...