Saturday, August 10, 2013

Handlebars

I had the stock SL90 handlebars re-chromed and I picked them up from the plater yesterday.  They are the last item that I decided to chrome.  I held off re-chroming them thinking the old chrome might be good enough, but when the handlebars were installed next to the freshly chromed parts, they looked pretty awful



Here's a comparison shot showing the freshly re-chromed handlebars (top) compared to what you typically find when searching for stock SL90 handlebars (rusty and sometimes bent).



Newly installed handlebars - note the headlight bucket full of wires. I'm waiting for some new 6 volt instrument light bulbs to finish off the wiring.  They are scheduled to arrive in two days along with the new wheel bearings for the front wheel.  You can see the black air intake boot (tube) attached to the air filter box.  The rubber was as hard as a rock and I could not install the boot on the carburetor as it would not flex.  I obtained a bottle of "Rubber Renew" and soaked the boot in it by placing it in a zip-lock plastic bag with the liquid.  After 48 hours, the rubber magically became pliable and flexible - almost like new - and I was able to install it with no difficulty.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!