Thursday, August 22, 2013

Fixing the Old License Plate

Here's what I did to the license plate for the blue SL90.  The plate had cracked badly just under the upper mounting holes as it was only mounted by the top two bolts - the constant vibration and flapping nearly cracked it all the way across the top.  It's hard to see in the top photo, but the cracks actually extend to the either side of the "CAL" on the plate.  So, I went ahead and had the cracks welded and ground (second photo) - you can weld the old steel 1963 style plates.  I also hammered out the dents and made the plate fairly flat again. Once the cracks were welded, I debated the idea of powder coating the plate black and hand lettering the yellow.  However, I kind of like the old weathered patina, so I painted the welded portions with a mix that approximates weathered license black (bottom photo).  I will touch up the yellow where the grinder took off paint (provided I can match it).

I couldn't save the stickers - the welder melted them...




I might change my mind and go the total restoration route - in the meantime, I will put my name on the CA DMV list for a reproduction 1963 style plate and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!