Friday, September 26, 2014

Steering Stem Races & Bearings



Now that the forks are ready, I decided to replace the old steering stem bearings and races so I could install the forks.


Here's what the old top bearing race looked like - it's the old ball bearing style (bad shape!).


I replaced the old ball bearing set-up with tapered bearings from Pyramid Parts.  They provide a good kit, complete with top and bottom bearings, races, dust seals and a tube of grease.


Removing the old races is simple - I use a drift (pick a size) and hammer to punch them out.





Not a lot of science to it, just make sure the drift is seated on the race (not the neck) before                                                              you pound them out.


Both races popped out easily (thankfully)...




The new races also pushed into place easily - note that the top race sits "proud" of the neck, with this much of the race showing above the neck.  The bottom race goes all the way in (no race showing).



After I installed the new steering stem bearings, I installed my old rusted set of wheels to roll the bike around the garage easier.  I also installed an old set of scrambler handlebars to make it easy to control.  The stock bars need chroming (that's next) and I'm rebuilding a nice set of wheels for this project.  I picked up the seat somewhere in my travels - it's an SL90 with a decidedly "tuck and roll" look.  I am recovering another seat for this bike - so the wheels, bars and seat are all temporary...



Here it is - waiting for its newly coated red gas tank, fenders, air cleaner and side cover...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!