Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Carburetor Cleaning Part 2

 It's time to rebuild the carburetor for the red SL90.  I cleaned the carburetor using Pine Sol and was impressed with how well it degreased the carburetor body.  The carb has been sitting on the shelf for a couple of months, waiting for a rebuild.

  I acquired a Keyster carb rebuild kit and proceeded to take the carb apart.  The first thing I encountered was a petrified main gasket.  The rubber was not only hard, it had bonded to the carb.  It was stuck so badly that I ended up using a dental pick to slowly remove the glued on rubber.  The photo below shows it about half way done.


 Fortunately, the Keyster kit has all of the new gaskets/o-rings, so I went ahead and replaced the old rubber parts.  


Here's the bag of jets, gaskets, needle, springs and screws.  I noted that the jets are one size larger than the stock jets (perhaps for the CL90?).  This being the case, I decided to clean the stock jets and reuse them and see how they do.  The over-bored cylinder might do better with the larger jets - so I'll experiment with jetting and settings.


I noted that the Pine Sol had left residue in the carb, so I ran all of the parts through my ultrasonic cleaner.  The ultrasonic cleaner is the way to go - it really gets the residue out of all the parts, especially the jet orifices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!