Monday, November 10, 2014

Lacing the Rear Wheel (and a New Front Wheel)

I picked up a package of new spokes (zinc coated) for $20 - not a bad deal.  I decided to go ahead and re-spoke and true the rear wheel for my red bike. I should have my new tires this week, so I wanted to get moving and get the wheels ready for the new tires.  Lacing wheels is something I like doing - I'm not sure why - maybe it's because the final product always looks so good.



Here's the start - polished hub, re-chromed rim and new spokes


Two-thirds of the way there - hopefully I have the correct pattern...


Finished - Looks right to me...



Here's the "before" photo of the rear wheel I restored.  Pretty awful.
I had to remove the old spokes, polish the hub, re-chrome the rim and install new spokes to restore the wheel.


While I was at it, I laced up my new 19" front rim and hub


This wheel is made up of all new parts - the rim from Indonesia and the spokes are new zinc plated originals - the hub is a new one from Thailand.  It's not a wheel to use for a restoration project (not all original parts), but it sure is a nice looking wheel and the brake lining is brand new.  I'm not sure if I'll be using this wheel or not (maybe for a spare?).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!