Sunday, November 9, 2014

Handlebars - Salvaging Stockers (It's a slow day)


I attempt to use original parts whenever possible and if I can't use the parts that came with the bike, I try to use NOS or OEM used whenever I can find the part in question.  Regarding SL90 handlebars, I definitely want  to use orginal and/or OEM/NOS because the handlebars, like the tank, seat and shocks, really contribute to the overall original "signature" look of the 1969 SL90.






The original bars that came with my red SL90 are slightly bent from a crash.  They aren't crimped, but they are off just enough to be annoying.  I might be able to salvage them, but that's a topic for another post.  In the meantime, I found a set on an SL90 that had been sitting in the desert for 30 years.  The good thing about the bars is that they aren't tweaked and the controls were fairly intact (nice bonus).  However, when I went to take the throttle tube off, it wouldn't budge.  No amount of soaking in PB Blaster, oil, using heat and pounding would  budge the throttle tube.  It had "become one with the handlebar" thanks to a serious case of rust.  In fact the grip on the brake side had also "bonded" with the bars.

So, here's the cure - zip open the side of the throttle tube with a Dremel and peel off the tube with Vice Grips.  As you can see in the photo, it works.  All you have to do is watch for the color change as the cutter starts to reach the break through point on the metal tube and you won't cut into the bars.  Now it's off to the plater for a re-chroming.  

This is a good argument for using plastic throttle tubes - however, in keeping with the theme of originality, I have a nice OEM metal SL90 throttle tube ready to go.

Next up, lacing and truing the rear wheel...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!