Friday, December 5, 2014

Rear Wheel -Finished!

I finally finished the rear wheel for my red SL90 project.  The new tire is mounted and the new bearings are in place, along with new brake shoes.




The photographs don't do the wheel justice. It really looks great!  It's almost perfect.


I had the rim re-chromed, added new zinc spokes, bearings, brakes, springs, seals, etc.  If all of the SL90 sub-assemblies came out looking this good, I'd put the final product on display and never ride it!  


Here's the same wheel before restoration.  This photo doesn't show how truly ugly the wheel was.  The rim had rusted where the tube strip sits inside and the axle had rusted to the swing-arm.  I gave the rim a lot of wire wheel cleaning plus Evapo-rust treatment before taking it to the chrome plater (it was that bad).  The original spokes were a complete rust loss.  Now the wheel  looks like new. Time to install it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!