Monday, January 19, 2015

!!!??** Frozen Intake Studs!!!!!??!!***

Well, I got the wiring harness set up and decided to install the intake and carburetor.  I wanted to see if I could get the engine to start. However, I found that I could not install the intake because the mounting studs were slightly bent, just enough that I could not install the intake.  Also, upon closer inspection, I noted that the threads on one stud were chewed up a bit as well.  I had not noticed that the studs were bent (it wasn't obvious).  I should have checked before installing the engine (note to self).   


I tried using two nuts on the studs to remove them, but I found that they were frozen and stuck tightly to the head.  I ended up pulling the engine out of the red bike so I could work on removing the studs.  First I tried vice-grips, but the studs would not budge.  So, here's what I did:  1) soaked the studs in PB Blaster overnight; 2) heated the studs and head (were the studs are threaded in) with a torch until they were nice and hot; 3) cooled the studs and the head down (froze them) with compressed air (canned air upside down); 4) put on the vice grips and tapped the handle with a ball peen hammer to back off the studs slowly and Voila! The frozen studs came right out.  Whew, given how tightly the studs were in, I thought I'd end up welding nuts to them to get them out.





Here are the bent studs (above).  Note the chewed up threads (partly vice grip damage).



I happened to have two new studs in my parts supply.  I figured I need them for intake or exhaust problems sometime in the future.  Here they are freshly installed with anti-seize. 


Now the intake pipe drops right in place (above).  With the engine out, I might as well pull the head and inspect the condition of the valves and piston - also, I want to replace the cases with refinished cases (plus clean-up the fins).   Eventually, I'll install the ported head and new cam, plus bore out the cylinder and install a new piston and rings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!