Thursday, September 3, 2015

Progress (Red SL90)


Here's the latest on what I have left to complete to finish my red SL90:

                                                       Replace the stator
                                                       Install the drive chain and drive sprocket cover
                                                       Finish connecting all wiring
                                                       Recover and install new seat
                                                       Add "Honda" logo to new seat
                                                       Stripe the gas tank
                                                       Replace faded reflectors
                                                       Shorten the throttle cable
                                                       Adjust the brakes
             
Oh, and while I'm at it,  I should register the bike and get its license plate...

Here's what the little red bike looks like (next to old blue):





It will look a lot better with the silver stripes and new seat.  I plan on using the "temporary" seat that's on the red SL90 for my "bits and pieces" bike.  

15 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing your blog, very helpful and insightful.
    I also have acquired a '69 and the only item that seems to be missing is the battery side cover. I know you mention its hard to find. Looking for nay direction you might have in trying to track one down?
    Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a parts vendor that has a side cover for sale. If I can find the link, I will post it. In the meantime, set Ebay up to notify your email of any SL90 parts updates. It may take a long time on Ebay, but I have seen them from time to time.

      Delete
    2. Hi Paul,

      I found the link to the parts vendor with a side cover: http://vintagehondaminitrails.com/browse.php

      The photo shows a NOS cover.

      Delete
  2. This was my first bike in high school. I am looking for a fully restored red one. Any suggestions on where to look?

    Roger
    Los Banos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roger, I'm about 40 miles from Los Banos.

      I've seen some nice complete (unrestored) red SL90's for sale. There's a barn find red SL90 for sale in Sacramento on Craigslist right now. Restored SL90's are hard to find!

      Delete
    2. Here's the link to the red SL90: http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/5303962846.html

      $700 is not too terrible.

      Delete
  3. Great restoration job. I still have mine (1st motorcycle). I bought it right after getting my learners permit the DAY I turned 15 1/2. It sure beat riding around on my Schwinn Varsity 10 spd. I was lucky enough to purchase a matching pair of basket case bikes many years ago. All are candy blue. Hope to get mine on back on the road sometime in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like my story! I was about the same age when I got my SL90. Good luck with your bike. I think you'll find it is very rewarding restoring the little tiddlers.

      Delete
  4. I have 5 SL90's. My original from 1969 and one from Salt lake City, One from Kansas and two from Georgia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cool! It's good to hear from another owner who has his original.

      Delete
  5. Looking for the air cleaner for a 1969 SL 90. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have a spare in the garage. I'll check. Email me at npinhey@gmail.com

      Delete
    2. I think I have a spare in the garage. I'll check. Email me at npinhey@gmail.com

      Delete
  6. help !looking for usable tank and end of air filter for sl90. any help would be appreciated, thanks
    zim10c@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Help ! I'm looking for a usable gas tank and air filter cap. any help would be appreciated.
    thanks, zim10c@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!