Thursday, August 20, 2015

More Bits & Pieces

There has not been a lot of activity on the projects over the last few weeks.  I installed new carburetor gaskets on the red SL90, repaired the red SL90's coil wire and replaced some non-original nuts and bolts on the red bike with Honda OEM parts.  I also installed the ignition switch.  I will need to replace the stator as the wires are not looking good where they connect through the engine case.  Fortunately, I have a spare.  It's too hot to work in the garage, so the stator replacement will need to wait for a morning when I have the time. 

I have managed to complete some small stuff on my "bits & pieces" project bike.  I fixed the kick stand by cutting off the bolt attachment point, reversing it and having welded back together.  Worked like a charm - no need to lean the bike against a wall anymore.  Also, I stripped the foot pegs off of an old CT90 foot peg mount I had in my parts pile.  I also had the rubber peg covers.  These installed nicely and saved me some money, but I found that the foot peg mounting point on the right side is bent slightly from an ancient collision with a rock or tree stump.  I think I can ease it back into position with a little heat and some pressure.



Next, I intstalled the rear brake pedal assembly from one of the spares I had lying around,  I wanted to be sure I had all of the parts, and, sure enough, I did.  The brake pedal is one of the bent ones, but it is not too bad and it works.



I started pricing SL100 speedometers and brackets to fit the SL100 top tree (triple tree bridge) that I am using.  They are way too expensive for a cheap build.  So, I invested $15.00 in the universal headlight brackets you see for sale everywhere.  By using these brackets, I could use the spare headlight bucket I had, plus the old speedometer and headlight.  This saved me some bucks - all I need to do is replace the speedometer rubber. The headlight bucket mounts up fine with spacers.  I will add the stock retaining rings to make sure the brackets won't slide down due to vibration.



While searching my parts pile, I found a set of grips that I purchased for $3.00 way back in the past.  I installed these along with a cheap Emgo throttle and controls.  So, now I have pretty much all of the basics.  I haven't made up my mind about a seat and rear fender.  Fortunately, I have options and I could always use my spare stock seat and fender.  It's nice to be able to assemble a bike and not have to worry about originality.  It was a pain trying to round up OEM and NOS parts for the Blue SL90 and the Red Sl90.  Being able to use old parts from my past projects and spares, plus cheap non-stock items is fun.

I'm pretty sure I can get some steel top mounts fabricated to do a Lifan 125cc engine installation on this bike.  I saw a fairly new Lifan (low miles) go for $65.00 on Craigslist - too bad I missed it,  Even if it had some problems, it would make a great engine for mocking up the mounts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!